Monday, October 30, 2017

Gothtober- the Goth Shuffle


Ok this is going to be like the Weekly shuffle except I am only reviewing the first ten goth songs that come up in my iPod.

Gary Numan- "If I Said" 

This album continues to grow on me. The vocals on this song remind me a little more of Smashing Pumpkins that what I think of as classic Gary Numan, but it still works .

Isendoral - "Tear the Veil of Dreams" 

On the more metal side of goth ,but with less eye liner. There  are generous amounts of neo-folk in this album as well, often they are in conflict with harsher vocals.  It's one that I owe more listens before the year ends.

KMFDM - "Freak Flag" 

One of the poppier songs on this album. It's still a pretty solid album as these moments are done better than they executed them in the band's more recent ebm past.

Marilyn Manson- Vodevil

"the Golden Age of Grotesque" is his most under rated album. Maybe it just connected with me at a certain time in life, but I think it's better than most of his shit that came out after and half the shit that came out before.

Nine Inch Nails - "This Isn't the Place" 

So this might not be Trent's darkest moment, but I think the songs on this album have a interesting atmosphere that doesn't sound dated like some of the 90s moments.

The Cure- "Pictures of You" 

As far as radio songs go this one is one of the more tolerable moments. I think I said enough about this song when I recently did the top 50 Cure songs countdown.

David Bowie- "I'm Afraid of Americans" 

Of the Bowie songs that would fall into this category, this is one of the more obvious moments. I still love listening to the industrial albums he did in the 90s.

Chelsea Wolfe- "Offering" 

When I interviewed her she swore she was not goth, but still makes music that is dark enough to qualify for a list like this .

Peter Murphy -"Indigo Eyes" 

This song almost just makes the cut because this is Peter Murphy and even when it's a happy song like this when he opens his mouth to sing it makes it goth enough.

Grave Pleasures - "Atomic Christ" 

This new album has more of a punk thing going on , but when you have someone from Current 93 doing spoken word at the intro of the song then you make it one here. The bass line is very Cure like.

No comments:

Post a Comment